SENIOR SUPERVISOR, Hospitality Sales & Service
The Senior Supervisor, Hospitality Sales & Service is responsible for the delivery of consistent and exceptional customer service in the Fieldhouse Bar and Grill, the Sundeck, the Curling Lounge and other events as scheduled. Through the delivery of a high level of service the Senior Supervisor will drive sales, monitor budgets and implement policies. The Senior Supervisor is supported by the Senior Manager Hospitality Services and is responsible for supervising all front of house staff members and when back of house supervisors are not available, make decisions regarding day-to-day staffing requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adherence to cost controls, customer satisfaction (surveys, personal contact, staff training) standards, guest business development, improved service standards, and loyalty programme builder.
- Sets and monitors budgets and pricing with the Senior Manager Hospitality Services.
- Regularly reviews pricing versus competitors and works with staff responsible for purchasing to ensure cost of goods are met.
- Develops strong relationships with key stakeholders in the RA Centre sports leagues and clubs to develop loyalty and patronage for the Fieldhouse food and beverage services.
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders in the RA Centre sports leagues and clubs to develop loyalty and patronage for the Fieldhouse food and beverage services.This could include, but is not limited to, target specific promotions, tournaments, and special events (year- end banquets).
- Manages the RA Loyalty Program, including processing requests and reporting on the point totals.
- Works with the Chef, Senior Manager and Marketing team on menus, specials and events.
Fieldhouse and Sundeck
- Be physically present in the Fieldhouse and Sundeck when restaurant is open for business to ensure RA Centre standards for service, cost controls, and guest business development is being practiced at all times by all personnel when not attending planning and administrative meetings.
- Assist as required (meet and greet guests, process food and beverage orders, food delivery, server support duties) to ensure maximum guest satisfaction
- Ensures all cash handling and inventory procedures are adhered to.
- Acknowledges and follows-up on member and customer complaints. Resolves issues in a mutually beneficial way.
- Ensures the serving, changeover and cleaning processes are effectively executed.
- Ensure all liquor license regulations are strictly adhered to.
- Ensure all tasks are shift tasks are reviewed and completed.
Banquets and Events
- On a daily and weekly basis inquire and review upcoming events as they are scheduled in the RA Centre facility. Events may include food and beverage service as ordered and events may not be limited only to food and beverage service.
- Verify event requirements on day of event to check for changes in the event order
- When room setups are required, ensure RA Centre standards are followed (eg table setup, linen requirements, glass and chinaware).
- Coordinate serving personnel as required to meet service standards in the RA Centre facility.
- Coordinate with Fieldhouse kitchen (on occasion the Banquet kitchen) for any food production requirements and delivery schedule for evening events.
People Leadership Responsibilities
- Successfully manage front of house personnel through the implementation of proper hiring and on-going training practices; timely scheduling of assistant supervisors, servers, and bartenders to comply with allocated labour budget; and, ensure serving personnel are following proper serving specifications as it pertains to food and beverages.
- Is familiar with and adheres to the Collection Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and Employment Standard Act (ESA).
- Actions HR and union concerns with the front of house Staff.
- Hire, discipline, train, and conduct semi-annual review of serving staff.
- Verify staff complement is present and ready to serve five minutes prior to start of each individual’s shift.
- Ensure each staff is in proper Fieldhouse uniform, that personal hygiene standards are respected, and that staff personal effects are stored out of site of the restaurant front of house.
- Observe (and assist when needed) server staff interaction with each guest table to ensure proper serving and delivery protocols are being followed; that the servers are upselling guests on menu add-ons or features; timing and coordination of food coming out of the kitchen (fresh, hot, all items as ordered and when ordered, plate presentation) are per menu specifications; and, that closing guest interactions (final menu suggestions; presentation and processing of guest check, invitation to participate in guest survey, and thanking the guest) are professional, courteous and prompt.
- Ensures that times cards are correct and submitted for payroll.
- Communicates regularly with Supervisors and Staff to ensure that they informed and engaged in all events, promotions and initiatives.
- Assumes responsibility for Back of House in absence of Chef or Sous-Chef.
- Weekly scheduling of supervisors and serving personnel per RA Centre labour budget guidelines.
- Ensure proper food and beverage requisitions are properly completed and legible
- Reconcile end of day sales reports; spot check bar counts and usage to POS sales reports.
- Reconcile server daily cash deposits.
- Coordinate Fieldhouse reservations and events with support of Fieldhouse chef, senior management, and Event and Conference personnel.
- Develop seasonal promotions with support of senior management and Engagement Team.
- Meet a least once a week with senior management to review current and future operational demands as it pertains to food and beverage services in the RA Centre.
- Meet at least twice a month with RA Centre Sports leagues and clubs to understand and encourage loyalty programmes and business development for the Fieldhouse.Develop key relationships with league and club managers and/or directors to support the Fieldhouse. As most leagues and clubs meet during the evenings there may be additional working hours required and/or change in work day schedule to accommodate these evening meetings.
- Meet informally with Fieldhouse personnel on a weekly basis regarding upcoming promotions, specials, operational issues, etc in person supported with POS email blast to reinforce verbal message.
- Meet quarterly with all Fieldhouse personnel to support key initiatives and directives for the successful operation of the Fieldhouse. These mandatory quarterly meetings must be thirty minutes in length and ought to include a Health and Safety moment and a menu sampling as a part of the overall agenda (to be posted in advance of the meeting).
- Other duties as assigned by their supervisor and/or the Executive Team.
- A minimum of three year’s supervisory experience in a licensed restaurant.
- Flexibility to be able to work day, evening, and weekend shifts as required.
- Strong customer service, communication, organizational and leadership skills.
- Valid Certificates in Food Safety, WHMIS, First Aid / CPR and Smart Serve.
- Smart Serve Certificate must be carried while on duty.
- Able to lift and/or carry up to 20 kg.
- A diploma or certificate in Hotel/Restaurant management or related discipline or experience in the field.
- Ability to perform effectively in a multi-dimensional business environment.
- Ability to work well independently, and within a team.
- Understands the Financial reports and works to improve Net Contribution.
- Creative in how to service client needs and attentive to their needs.
- Flexible and proactive in taking on assignments and responsibilities.
- Strong communication skills with a keen understanding of team concepts.
- Customer service driven.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, priorities and deadlines.
- Proficiency in both official languages an asset.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Resumes with references will be accepted by drop off or by e-mail.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Please put job title in subject line.
Drop off: ATTENTION: Shelley Carbonetto, Senior Manager, Hospitality Services, 2451 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, ON K1H 7X7
The RA is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.